Sunday 20 November 2016

Planning for SWAP 2017

I've been away from here for a while. Mostly because I've traveled to my french home and I also had some busy time planning for what to sew, cut some of those garments and sew a few.
But first I'll show you my plan for what to sew in the SWAP 2017 Contest at Stitcher's Guild. The rules this time is simple and easy to follow.

2017 Less is More SWAP Rules
Eleven garments divided between Upper, Lower and Over pieces. These are tops and dresses; bottoms; and layers, all defined later. There are minimums and maximums in each category, to provide balance and variety. You decide the final distribution.
Upper: Minimum 3, maximum 5.
Lower: Minimum 3, maximum 5.
Over: Minimum 2, maximum 5. No more than ½ may be outerwear.
Your twist: Each garment in a category must work with at least half of the garments in each of the other two categories. Example 5 Upper, 3 Lower, and 3 Over. Each upper would need to work with 2 Lower and 2 Over garments in combinations that you will actually wear.
NEW: Because the number of layers is expanded and due to current fashion, layers can also be sheer materials, such as lace or eyelet. If Over pieces can also be layered together over other pieces, that is fine.  Having pinafores in this category is also new this year. 
PATTERNS: A minimum of 3 and a maximum of 8 patterns can be used. Two or three items will repeat but the garments don’t need to be identical. Use your imagination. Designed to develop TNT patterns. 
This plan rewards simplicity. The more you coordinate the less trouble you will have getting finished. The more complex you get with your garment types and color choices the more planning you will need to do to pull it off. I highly recommend working it out on paper. With this you will be choosing your difficulty level. Simple is easy to pull off.
You won’t be sewing any orphans or 11 of one category, but it is possible to create different groups in different colorways with more planning. 
You may use one previously sewn item, completed by November 5th, when the Rules were posted.
You may make 2 “Early Bird” garments, begun on or after November 5th, when the Rules were posted and completed prior to December 26th, the official start of sewing.
You may use one purchased item, bought at any time through April 30th, 2017.
The above are tools; use them to your advantage!
Sewing will begin December 26th, your time, and all garments must be finished by April 30th, 2017.  Muslins, pattern fitting and fabric cutting may be started whenever you are ready. 

I made my plan quickly and maybe there will be some changes down the road, but in overall it looks like this:

"The overs" is one knitted cardigan called Dark Pearl Cardigan (ravelry link) and I will knit it with a lovely navy blue yarn from Wollmeise. It's called Blend and it's 70% Merino, 20% Cashmere goat, 10% Nylon.
The other one in group Overs is a long cardigan from Knipmode, which I will sew in a wool knit bought at the market in my french town. They said it was wool angora but I don't really think it's totally true. 

In the middle row are the Uppers which in my case will be two Granville Shirts, two Plantain Tees and probably a dress in stretchtwill. Maybe I will switch this for something else. 

I the bottom row there are three pencil skirts for which I will use a pattern from Gertie's first book. The red pencil skirt is a skirt from La Maison Victor and it's called Kristy Jupe. I'll sew it in a red double knit. 

No comments: